Electrodiagnosis in the Evaluation of Ulnar Neuropathy in Benghazi

Short Communications


Faraj EL-Mabruk

Neurology Unit, Al-Jamahiriya Hospital, Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Garyounis, Benghazi, Libya

JMJ Vol.7, No.3 (Autumn 2007):215-217


Objective: To study the causes, clinical presentation and the findings of electrophysiological examination in patients with ulnar nerve neuropathy due to entrapment or traumatic disorders. Design: Prospective study of patients with ulnar neuropathy referred for neurophysiological studies (nerve conduction and electromyography studies). Subjects & Setting: Cases included people aged between 15-75 years, who had ulnar nerve neuropathy and referred for electrodiagnosis in Benghazi, between March 2003 and September 2006. Results: There were 53 patients with ulnar neuropathy, 32 were males and 21 were females. The mean age was 36 ± 13.5 (SD) years (range 15-75 years). The common clinical manifestations were weakness, sensory disturbances and pain in the ulnar nerve territory. Twenty-seven (51 %) patients had traumatic ulnar neuropathy, while the other 26 (49%) patients had idiopathic compression neuropathy of the ulnar nerve at the elbow (cubital tunnel syndrome). Axonal damage on electrophysiological examination was established in 25(93%) cases of patients who had traumatic neuropathy. Segmental demyelination and conduction delay were observed in 20 patients with the cubital tunnel syndrome, while axonal injury was recorded in 6 patients of whom 3 were diabetic patients. Additional carpal tunnel syndrome was found in 7 patients of this group. Conclusion: The present study was comparable with previous reports. The obtained data were similar for male predominance, clinical and electrophysiological findings. However, the study reveals a high prevalence of stab wound injury of the ulnar nerve among young men. This suggests that preventive strategies are indicated to prevent and combat this rising problem and hence, the devastating consequences, of functional disability.

Keywords: Ulnar neuropathy, Idiopathic, Traumatic, Electrophysiology

Link/DOI: http://www.jmj.org.ly/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1415