Intestinal Protozoa in Libyan patients in Sirt

Original article


Salem R.A. Alsirieti1, Abdulla M Elahwel1 and Abdulgader A. Elamari2

1- Department of Infectious Diseases and Tropical Medicine.
2- Department of Internal Medicine Faculty of Medicine, Altahadi University.Sirt- Libya

JMJ Vo1.6 No.1 (Autumn) 2006: 59-61


This study was conducted on 700 patients aged from 2-60 years from both gender, who were attending out patients’ clinics of Ibn Sina Hospital from summer 2002 to Dec 2003, complaining of abdominal pain (acute or recurrent), vomiting and/ or diarrhoea. They were investigated for the presence of parasitic infections by stool analysis using formalin ether sedimentation method. Our results revealed that 76% of samples were positive for intestinal parasites, and the remaining 24% were due to other causes. Multiple infections were found in 54.5% of the positive samples, Entamoeba Histolytica was the commonest infection detected in (35.9%). Children from 2-10 years were the most commonly infected more than the other age groups; abdominal pain and diarrhoea were common presentations among the total positive cases.

Keywords: Intestinal parasites, E. Histolytica, G. Lamblia, Diarrhoea